Thursday, December 09, 2004

28 Weeks and Singapore Rant






Here I am in front of our miniature fiber optic Christmas tree. Isn't it festive? The little lights at the ends of the "pine" needles change color to add an extra jolt of holiday cheer.

Interesting International Travel Fact of the Day: to get into the country of Singapore when more than six months pregnant requires everything short of signing your name in blood. Why, you ask? They want to make absolutely, positively, 100% sure that, should your baby be born in Singapore accidently, you will not even attempt to seek Singaporean citizenship or residency for your little early bird. No kidding-- they are seriously paranoid. I had to fill out a lengthy visa application form, provide a passport photo, write and sign a Letter of Intent confirming that I will not seek citizenship for the baby if it is born early (and that I will then immediately remove the baby from the country!), send a copy of my marriage certificate (but what if someone is a single mother-- are they barred from entering the country pregnant on the grounds of some misguided morality?), and provide a letter from my doctor stating my anticipated due date and probable location of delivery. Seriously, people. What do I want with Singaporean citizenship? Call me a snob, but it's true. Anyway, all that work for 4 days and 3 nights of shopping and modernity over the New Year holiday!


Happy Holidays!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi duells! you are looking beautiful, mamma duell! i DO love your fiber-optic tree and especially those cool stockings hanging on the wall! love, grandma collin

9:47 AM  
Blogger Alicia Duell said...

Hi Mom! Yes, the fiber optic tree is a great addition to the holiday season. All we need now is a black velvet Santa painting and we'd be all set!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Alicia!!
Loved the photos of your growing belly....I cannot wait to see the adorable little indo-baby that comes out of that cute little tan belly!! Too bad you cannot have the belly at the gay pride parade next summer, but the good thing is we will be able to once again finally enjoy our fruity drinks together!! : )I hope things are going well and you and Ian are enjoying your winter holiday. Jesse will be in your neck of the world feb and march so if he happens to wander into jakarta I am sending him over to se you. Miss you lots , take care, love kb : ) p.s the trash has been taken out for the last time...no more BFI garbage pick ups for me

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Alicia and Ian,
Dee here so I didn't sign up. You're looking wonderful in your pregnant state. Katy is here over the holidays and we're looking at your web site. Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. Let me know what you thought about Singapore. Any thoughts about going to China? Frank and I went there and loved it. Dee

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker